There are a lot of things that bother me in this world. I have compiled a top five list, although they’re not necessarily in any particular order.
1. People who call themselves nerds when they’re not. Let me give you an example:
Friend: “I’m a nerd.”
Me: “Okay. Who shot first?”
Me: “Who shot first?”
Friend: “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”
Me: “Live long and prosper.”
Me: “I’m sorry, but you’re just not a nerd.”
You want to know why this bothers me? It’s because people think that nerds are cool, so they want to be a nerd just to be “cool.” This isn’t always true. I mean, yeah, I know some pretty cool nerds, like Christopher Paolini, but I also know some nerds that are sort of social outcasts and nobody likes them (I’m not going to name names). The thing is, if you were meant to be cool, you would be cool. Don’t fake it.
2. I hate it when the proofreader in a word processing program tries to be politically correct. I type “wife” and it puts this annoying green line under it and insists that I change it to “spouse.” You know what? I don’t want to use “spouse.” I want to use “wife.” So would you please move your green line and let me get on with my writing? There are things more important to underline, like when I accidentally type the same word twice, which you never seem to able to actually do. I wish I could fire you, proofreader. You do a lousy job.
3. People are always telling me that I need to get a Facebook. It’s as if I don’t get a Facebook, I’ll die, or even worse, have my head in the sand. That’s not true. Personally, I think Facebook is sort of stupid. It promotes stalking, and gives people an opportunity to yell at each other over the internet. And not everyone wants to see you smoking for the first time or doing something else regrettable. It just makes them want to go into the computer and beg you to stop, which they can’t do. I am not saying, however, that the concept of Facebook or the people who founded Facebook are stupid (in fact, I think they are particularly smart). Just what people do with it.
4. Anyone who isn’t Team Edward. I’m sorry Jacob, you’re just not good enough for Bella. Bella needs a strong, dependable man that won’t turn into a hairy thing on her. I don’t care how good-looking you are, because you are good-looking, but…no. And for all of you Team Switzerland people, what are you thinking? Team Switzerland is a joke. No offense. But you know you’re swayed to one side just slightly over the other. You just don’t want to admit it.
5. I hate it when people stereotype teenagers. I mean, I’m a teenager, and I don’t drool over pictures of some boy while pecking relentlessly at my cellphone. I’m not addicted to texting or anything else, other than music. I don’t listen to profane music all the time, I don’t swear at everything, and I don’t exclude people who aren’t in my “clique.” Which doesn’t even exist. I don’t like being set aside as a stupid adolescent, which I am not. Is there no middle ground? Please?!
Ciao for now,